Senior Data Scientist
Data Science / Machine Learning
Do you have a passion for social impact? If yes, Socious Inc. is looking for somebody with your enthusiasm and skills to work as part of the team. We are looking for an experienced data scientist who is curious, driven, and passionate about social impact and data analytics. If you are looking for a role where you can make a major impact in the world, we want to meet you.
Socious is a community app for social change, powered by AI and blockchain. Many people are interested in contributing to social impact projects, but few of them can do so. We leverage this untapped potential by helping them contribute to society in an easy, fun way through a purpose-driven community app, AI recommendations, and blockchain-based community currency. We are developing a decentralized application (Dapp) where users can take control of and monetize their content and data.
Socious Inc. was founded in July 2021 and is looking to grow it's team. As a founding member of Socious Inc., you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting social change makers and in growing the company with the CEO.
As a member of Socious Inc. you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting social change makers. You will be building a recommender engine for the Socious app. Resposibilities include:
- Build in data collection to enable a scalable recommender engine (e.g. interactions data, user networks table, tags)
- Compose synthetic datasets based on the schema and with the appropriate volume and attributes distribution to carry out modelling for the recommender engine
- Build a business logic
- Build a scalable recommender engine, incl. exploring open source and commercial technologies and getting a cost projection for future resource use and cost
- Integrate within the existing schema and back end
- Produce and serve the output, API, and integrating within the app
- Test and assess against business goals
You will work directly with the engineering teams within Socious Inc. This role will work closely with engineers to develop and run statistical models to understand user behaviors and provide the most relevant matching recommendations.
You will collaborate directly with finance and business leaders to produce modeling solutions, partner with software developers to build end-to-end data pipelines and production code, and have exposure to senior leadership as we communicate results and provide scientific guidance to the business.
You will analyze large amounts of business data, automate, and scale the analysis, and develop metrics that will enable us to continually delight our users worldwide. As a successful data scientist, you are an analytical problem solver who enjoys diving into data, is excited about investigations and algorithms, can multi-task, and can credibly interface between technical teams and business stakeholders.
Your analytical abilities, business understanding, and technical savvy will be used to identify specific and actionable opportunities to solve existing business problems and look around corners for future opportunities.
You will build models and tools using technical knowledge in machine learning, statistical modeling, probability and decision theory, and other quantitative techniques; utilize SQL and code (Python, R, etc.) for analyzing data and building statistical models to solve specific business problems; improve upon existing methodologies by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, and fine-tuning model parameters.
Skills & Experience
- A strong passion for social impact (previous experience with social impact organizations is an asset).
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.), statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab), or AWS products
- 2 years working as a Data Scientist
- Business-level English skills are required. Japanese skills are desirable.
What’s on offer
- Diverse, driven, and high-performing colleagues
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- Work-life balance with flexible hours and leave (unlimited paid leave)
- Flexible work arrangements (full-time, part-time freelance, side-job, onsite, remote, etc.)
- A competitive salary package: 10-20 million yen (USD 87k - 175k) per year + stock options
- Japan work visa sponsorship
How to apply
To apply, please send your letter of motivation (cover letter) and CV to email@example.com
Please Note: This role is open to remote work outside Japan and also to remote work initially, with the aim of relocating to Japan post-Covid.